Friday, April 22, 2016

54th Norbreck Rally

Myself and Roydan M0LEX went up to the 54th Annual Norbreck Radio Rally at the Norbreck Castle Hotel in Blackpool on April 10th and I was pleasently surprised at how busy it was. Lots of traders and stands, lots of visitors too.


In my excitement I forgot to take and photos or video of the inside of the rally so you'll have to make do with some poor screenshots from the little video I did record and use your imagination for the rest.


There were lots of stands there from all the big names such as M&L, Moonraker, W&S, RSGB etc and lots of club and individual stands offering the latest radio technology along with a lot of vintage gear and everything in between. There was also a bring and buy which I thought was a great idea but a lot of the stuff on it was way too overpriced for what it was hence most of it still being there at the end of the day.


This year admission was granted upon showing a yellow wristband which was a first for Blackpool rally. Admission was £5 which I thought was reasonable. The queue was massive which is always great to see. Luckily we managed to get there early and after a full English breakfast we joined the queue very close to the front.


I managed to pick up a couple of things on the day, the first being a portable kit for my Yaesu FT-290R all mode 2m QRP radio. This consisted of a metal case with an antenna adaptor, power adaptor and two power cables. It has a nylon strap and mic holder to allow the user to carry the radio round easily when operating portable. A bargain at £5 and after a clean up with some wipes and a dremel to get rid of some light surface corrosion it looked the part.



I also picked up a Standard C5800 all mode 2m radio too which I cleaned up after the below pictures were taken and it looks great in the shack and works well on SSB. Unfortunately on FM there is an issue with the tone burst. When the PTT is pressed twice in a row it activates the 1750hz tone but there is an intermittent fault which causes the tone to activate. Not too much of an issue as I got this for SSB anyway. £30.



All in all a great day Blackpool Rally and I look forward to next year!

Thanks for reading!

73's, Lewis M3HHY.

Manchester, UK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment